Sunday, November 2, 2008

A home, at last!


As many of you know, we've been looking for a house for a long, long time. In September, we finally found the place we wanted to call home - a beautiful brick octagon bungalow in Jefferson Park, which is an old Polish neighborhood on the northwest side of Chicago. This is actually the second house that we put an offer on - the first one was last October, and that place was located just a half block away from this house. The sellers did not accept our offer, and we weren't really interested in offering more... so that was that. But I remember last year when I was so incredibly excited to become a homeowner, and therefore a house blogger... that I actually started up this blog before we even put the offer in. I can be pretty superstitious sometimes, so I wasn't even going to touch this with a ten foot pole until we were finally closed.

So, to make a month and a half long story short: after some interesting negotiations with our overseas sellers, and a bit of stress over buying a place in such interesting financial times, to say the least, we closed last week. The move was long and tedious, but is finally, finally over. We're slowly getting settled in, and have already gotten a ton of work done. I had the whole week off, and thanks to the generous help from my parents and Adam's mom, we got a lot accomplished.

So anyway, this blog will detail my plunge into the world of homeownership. This is my first time owning anything, and I'm not exactly what you'd call handy. But I'm excited, and I'm going to learn - and try to keep track of it all here.

1 shout-outs:

Andy November 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM  

Welcome to Chicago bungalow ownership and re-welcome (apparently) to houseblogging! Looking forward to reading about the trials and successes! Congrats to both of you...