Sunday, May 24, 2009

The plot thickens


Garden plot
Originally uploaded by sweetlenny
We planted more in the vegetable plot on Friday afternoon: cilantro, chives, basil, and finally the asparagus bulbs. To get the flickr photo with notes that explain what everything is, just click the pic.

So there is still about half the plot to fill up - so I'm thinking zucchini and butternut squash? I'm not sure how much room all of this is going to take up. I am probably going to have to spread some of it out once the plants get bigger. And there are the irises coming up in the back of the plot closest to the alley that I am probably going to dig up and relocate, but I'll wait until they bloom and see if it's worth the effort.

2 shout-outs:

Robb May 24, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

We had zucchini last year, and it took up a lot of room, and didn't produce a whole lot. I'd go with something else.

Capn May 30, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Zucchini will explode and the shade of the plant's massive leaves will kill everything else-- both kinds-- the vine type and the bush type. I lost a lot of grass due to the zukes. I decided that, when in season, Zukes cost nothing at the farmer's market.