Saturday, November 20, 2010

Message in a Bottle


Time capsule in place
Originally uploaded by sweetlenny
As I've been ignoring the giant gaping hole in the basement bathroom ceiling for nearly 2 months now, Adam finally decided to take matters into his own hands. I'm pretty happy about that, as you can probably imagine. However, I am offering assistance by occasionally holding drywall for him as he screws it into the joists.

But I had this idea to leave a time capsule of sorts, as I found an old whiskey bottle from 1936 in the ceiling when I tore down the moldy drywall a few months ago. It was unfortunately empty, as is the bottle of Maker's I'm putting up there, but I went one step further and wrote a note.

//////////////////////////////////
Hi there!

If you found this, it means you're digging around in the guts of the house probably due to some badness involving a toilet leak, or maybe you're gutting the bathroom. That's how I happened to find an old whiskey bottle that the previous owners, maybe even the original owners, left in the ceiling. The toilet in the bathroom upstairs had a leak and I had to tear out the drywall. When I removed the yucky, moldy drywall, I got up and looked in the ceiling, and found a little bit of treasure. Well, maybe not treasure, but it was pretty cool. The bottle I found was from 1936 - at least I'm pretty sure. I still have it - I tried to sell it on eBay but to no avail. I wonder if eBay will still be around when you find this.

My name is Laura, and my longtime partner is Adam. We bought the house as our first home in 2008. We're 35 and 36, and we love the house and the neighborhood. I work in advertising at Leo Burnett as a User Experience/Interactive Designer, and Adam is an attorney. We don't have kids, but we do have a Jack Russell Terrier named Peanut. We both grew up near Chicago and were thrilled to purchase a Chicago Bungalow. I hope you love the house as much as we do. We're also Cubs fans - I really, really, really hope the Cubs finally win a world series by the time you find this. But as a true Cubs fan, I am used to the disappointment.

Today is November 20, 2010, and Adam is going to finally patch up the drywall, while I supervise. I thought it would be fun to leave a little treasure in for someone to find, or maybe not find, someday. The reason I put this message in a bourbon bottle is because I love Maker's Mark. "Message in a Bottle" is also one of my favorite Police songs. Do people still listen to the Police? We saw them play live at Wrigley Field on July 6, 2007. (See, it all comes together!)

Anyway, good luck with whatever project you're doing that resulted in finding our little time capsule. And please take good care of Bungalow 4865.

Cheers,
Laura, Adam and Peanut

PS - the Maker's Mark has the black and red wax because the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup earlier this year. Maybe you can sell it on eBay. That way it really all comes together.

1 shout-outs:

Andy November 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

This is a GREAT idea...I wish I would have thought of it when I gutted the basement!

I'll have to remember it when I do the next project that requires a hole in the wall. :)