Saturday, November 8, 2008

Finally, a kitchen we can use

This afternoon my dad came by and did some more electrical work. We have a good amount of usable counter space, but we also have a healthy amount of appliances. I inherited my appliance-hoarding tendencies from my parents: in their kitchen, in addition to all of the usual appliance suspects, you can find a breadmaker, quesadilla maker, coffee pod maker, and a belgian waffler. I don't have any of those, thankfully, but we did want to have the coffeemakers closer to the sink and the coffee.



So my dad installed a new GFCI outlet, along with the switch to the light above the sink, on the proper side, and the pantry light and two additional outlets on the other side. It's the little things that can make a huge difference. Now all I have to do is clean up the dust from the red tile that seems to have gotten into every single inch of the kitchen.



But wait, there's more - we also put up a spice rack (courtesy of Target) and some shelves to store oils and salts. Somehow we've managed to gather quite a gourmand collection of cooking oils, vinegars, and spices. They barely fit on the shelves, but at least we have a nice way to display them now that doesn't involve taking up the kitchen table like they did at the apartment.

Other accomplishments of the past few days include:

- *finally* setting up my computer and office and and unpacking a few more boxes. My computer would not turn on before the move, but it somehow managed to resuscitate itself and turn on.
- taking a huge amount of recycling to the local recycling center
- unpacking and shelving all of our books
- importing some armchair rockers from my parents. Apparently we're hosting Thanksgiving this year, which is in t-minus 19 days, and I was freaking out a little about where everyone is going to sit. So the chairs are a rather unhappy shade of pink/mauve, but they'll do.
- replacing the futon mattress and cover for the futon in the basement. I've had this thing forever, since college, and it needed a new mattress BADLY, as we're using this as our basement couch.

Slowly but surely. we are getting things done.

0 shout-outs: