Saturday, November 8, 2008

Prioritizing the Punch List

There's a lot of stuff I want to do on the house. The problem is, I don't have unlimited funds to do everything at once...who does? So now that we're more settled and some of the immediate work is done, we're trying to sort out what we want to tackle first. This is the pseudo-punch list I'm starting for the time being.

1. Roof. Our inspector suspected the chimney flashing needs to replaced and that could be what caused some slight water damage in the ceiling to the upstairs stairwell. So I called a roofing company today that I found on Angie's List and I'm waiting to hear back. Hopefully this isn't an expensive problem.

2. Leaking garage gutter. While we're at it, we'll have the roofer guy look at the gutter right by the garage door that seems to be leaking.

3. Paint over hideous tile in downstairs bathroom and kitchen. My dad seems to think I can paint over all the ugly tile with epoxy paint, at least the tile on the walls. I'm a little skeptical, but I'm at least going to look into it. The tile bothers me that much, but I'm not going to re-tile at this stage. Painting seems like the perfect solution.

4. Replace toilet in downstairs bathroom. For reasons that I will probably never understand, the POs put a pink toilet in the downstairs bathroom with a white lid. As if there wasn't enough color in the room already. I want a white toilet to match the tub and vanity.

5. Carpeting upstairs. In order for the upstairs to be useable, it needs to be recarpeted. The current carpet is red/orange and just old and gross. I want a nice plush gray carpet.

6. Bed and bedroom furniture. This goes hand in hand with carpeting the upstairs. We don't really have any bedroom furniture to speak of. Adam's using the counter in the laundry room to keep his clothes, and I'm using an old dresser that will stay in the guest room once we get a real set. I'll TRULY feel like an adult once we get actual bedroom furniture (not that the mortgage wasn't enough) .

7. Painting. Oh, the things we can paint. I first want to paint the wood paneling in my office because it's kind of dark and oppressive. Everything else will be painted too eventually. This is a big project but we can do maybe 2 rooms in a weekend or something.

8. Get new living room furniture. This is a major purchase that's probably going to end up getting pushed back for awhile. I also want to get a super nice rug, so maybe we'll do that first. Who knows.

Wow... lots of dollar signs for some of those projects. And that's just the beginning.

2 shout-outs:

Andy November 8, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

Advice: Don't paint the wood paneling (if you hate painting, which I do).

It's a complete pain in the ass. See my blog entries on painting our baby room/nursery...

I love most any DIY project, except painting. :) So I'm a little biased toward never painting wood paneling ever again. :)

Anonymous August 18, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.