Monday, November 10, 2008

Comcast: A rant.

I want to start by saying that I've been a "loyal" Comcast customer for at least 6 years. That is mostly because I haven't had much of a choice in the matter - they are the only cable company where I live. I could get satellite/DSL, but then I'd have to get a phone line and pay for that as well.

I am really, really upset right now. I'm bracing myself to make yet another phone call and try to be nice, yet firm, with their customer service person. I will not take out my frustration on them - it's not that person's fault I've been dicked around by their company for the past 9 days.

So last Saturday, we had a Comcast tech come out to our new house to install basic cable and cable internet. The cable TV was put in the basement, but the installer said he didn't have "authorization" to put the cable upstairs, even though they specifically asked me how many TVs I wanted hooked up when I made the appointment. He left and said he'd make someone would call us about another appointment.

Later that night, I was about to take a shower and noticed two freshly drilled holes in the shower ceiling tile. WTF? Who else would have done this but the Comcast guy? There clearly weren't any wires needed in the bathroom, and why on earth would he need to do that??! I was livid. We also found a hole in the hardwood floor in the office upstairs...again, the hole seemed to serve no purpose. And we found holes outside in the masonry without any wires going into them. Apparently he didn't need any authorization just to drill a bunch of useless holes in our house. The guy also did a really sloppy job with the wires - they're just loosely hanging from the bricks.





So Adam got on the phone with Comcast and made a damage claim, and also mentioned that the guy left the basement a mess with wires hanging out of the ceiling. We were told that someone would contact us, and another appointment would be made to a) finish the installation and b) assess the damage.

So another appointment was made for the following Saturday, and I also spoke to the company Comcast contracts out to (they are called Matrix Communications) to assess the damage for the claim. Those people were supposed to call me to set up an appointment to view the damage to the house, but of course I'm still waiting for a call back about that.

Along comes Saturday, and no one shows up between 10 and 1. I finally get ahold of someone at Comcast, and they promise to call me back once they've spoken to a dispatcher. Of course there are promises to take care of everything and get someone out there as soon as possible. It does not happen. Then the dispatcher finally calls me, and promises that someone will get in touch with me about coming on Sunday. Of course no one calls me.

I'm just frustrated and tired of dealing with now TWO different companies. Now I'm sitting on hold, going on 10 minutes. I hate Comcast. They've made what was supposed to be a routine installation a big huge pain in my ass.

3 shout-outs:

ComcastCares1 November 10, 2008 at 12:10 PM  

I am sorry for the damage that was done to your property.

I would like to help. Please send me your information so that I can look into this for you.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Anonymous November 10, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

First off, congratulations new home owners! Love those Chicago bungalows. I have a picture of Grandma F in front of hers that reminds me of your house.

And secondly,

Yikes! That totally sucks. I can't believe they drilled through the bathroom ceiling! I hope you get some help.

When we had our DirecTV installed at our new home the guy showed up drunk at noon and quit his job after struggling with our install for a few hours. He literally left everything where it lay and took off. They sent someone out to finish but it was crazy. Sounds like we were lucky.

FIOS anyone?

Andy November 10, 2008 at 9:03 PM  

Sorry, but not at ALL surprised to hear about your Comcast troubles.

I dumped Comcast on their asses the minute we sold our condo and bought this house. Went with DirecTV. And honestly, here in the "city of wind" that they claim in their b.s. "enlightenment" commercials, I've had more consistent service than I did with Comcast's digital cable. Their customer service is so ridiculous that I suffered through bad cable just so I wouldn't have to deal with the hassle you dealt with (which, by the way, had been exactly the case when I had it installed at the condo originally). Comcast will NEVER get my business EVER -- it's not worth it.

Good luck though...and sorry to be so bitter and harsh! But I'm passionate about it...