Thursday, April 9, 2009

Energy-saving appliance grant NOT granted

One of the first things I did after moving in last October was to submit my application to the Historic Chicago Bungalow Association to receive their $500 energy-saving appliance voucher, a one-time grant available to those who purchased and certified their Chicago bungalow. I was eagerly awaiting the voucher so we could purchase a dishwasher for the house.

In November I received a letter from the HCBA stating that they were out of funding for the year, but I would be put on a waiting list when funds became available in 2009. After a few attempts to follow up and check the status, I finally heard back. They no longer have funding for the grant, and do not foresee receiving any funding.

I'm pretty bummed, but I'm glad I can finally stop waiting and just buy a dishwasher. We're probably going to take a trip up to Abt over the weekend (ideally on chocolate chip cookie Saturday) to commence the shopping.

3 shout-outs:

Andy April 10, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

Well, that answers my pending question (in my brain) about whether funding came through in 2009 or not. They RAN OUT of funding last year because of the new energysavers model they followed. Of course, the world jumped on board, and they didn't have enough for everyone. Sounds like they didn't get any more funding this year either. That sucks.

Write a letter to your aldeman...I did. If you need a template, you can find it on my blog. :) Maybe if enough of us complain, something will happen.

sweetlenny April 10, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

Letter to Alderman has been added to my to-do list. Hopefully the HCBA will update their website with whatever changes they've made to the grant program...I really hope I can take advantage of whatever they're still offering. Did you ever hear back about getting a grant for your insulation project?

Andy April 10, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

The last I had heard was from HCBA saying that there was no money in 2008 left, and that the waiting list for 2009 was something like 80 people long. They said I could submit it, but I'd have to wait until this year to have a chance to get grant money, and then of course, I couldn't do anything until HCBA approved it for the grant money.

So I said screw it and did what had to be done. I'll use the grant money, if it ever comes back, on a new furnace or water heater or something else.

It really sucks.