Saturday, November 22, 2008

Painting the master bedroom has commenced.

This morning we went to our local paint store and purchased paint for the master bedroom. We decided to do a medium greyish blue on the lower walls, and a light, airy blue on the slanty walls:



We also got some advice on painting over the wood paneling in my office, and discussed possibly painting with epoxy over the hideous bathroom tile. Turns out that painting over tile is not only a fairly involved process involving sanding and priming...but the epoxy paint itself is super noxious stuff. The paint store guy recommended that the painter wear a respirator (!) and no other humans or pets be at home during the painting (!). So I think that project is going to, uhh, be tabled for awhile.

The paint we chose to use was Benjamin Moore's Aura Paint. It's supposed to be very high quality and very low VOCs, with good coverage. The colors we chose are called "heaven on earth" and "new born's eyes".

Anyway, I'm just about done with all of the prep work, which involved removing the ugly baseboard wood, taking out about 30 nail anchors (ugh), spackling the remaining holes, sanding the spackled holes, and cleaning all of the walls with Soilax. Removing the baseboard molding was a decision I hope I am happy with. I hated the color (a medium golden brown overly lacquered wood that the POs seem very fond of) and they were like 6" tall. I'd much rather get some lower profile molding once we get new carpet.





3 shout-outs:

Andy November 23, 2008 at 5:04 PM  

For some "help" in how to tackle the wood paneling (and possibly to help you decide if it's really worth it), see what we did in our baby room last year around this time: http://buildbetterbungalow.blogspot.com/search/label/Baby%27s%20Room

Scroll down to about Dec. 1, 2007. If I had to do it all again, I would have torn it down and drywalled...but then again, I HATE HATE HATE painting more than anything. :)

Good luck!

sweetlenny November 23, 2008 at 5:13 PM  

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely check out! It's a really small room (7x10?) so I'm hoping it's not too much of a PITA to paint.

The painting is really an interrim solution to pulling out all of the paneling, aka "let's make this tolerable until I can spend some real time/money on gutting the room." I'm a little nervous as to what's actually behind the paneling - the room in question is the tandem room off the back bedroom, which is basically the non-brick "back porch" area.

Andy November 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM  

Yeah, that was part of my concern with our room...was worried I would find issues behind the walls up there and would set us back...one thing that was suggested for our basement renovation (where there was also wood paneling that I ripped down), was to get thin drywall and fasten it right over the wood paneling already up there.

But, I understand the whole "interim solution" idea...I've done that in plenty of spots around here. :)

If you do paint it, try to get one of those super-skinny rollers/brushes for the channels. I used a four-inch horsehair (standard) brush, and it took FOREVER to do those channels. The skinny roller brush MIGHT work better (I confess I didn't try it...was a thought I had AFTER the fact). Those channels are pretty porous and dry, and they suck up the primer. :)

P.S. Sorry for the book-length comments...just trying to help! :) Don't feel obliged, either, to take any of my rambling advice...just throwing it out there. :)