Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Looks like we'll be washing dishes by hand for awhile.

So yesterday I received my letter from the Historic Chicago Bungalow Association that informed me that they have indeed run out of funding for the year, therefore I will not be receiving my $500 energy saving appliance voucher. We were going to use this money for a dishwasher, but looks like that's going to have to wait.

I am a little bummed, but based on a fellow bungalow owner's recent experience, I wasn't at all surprised that I did not get the voucher. I can only hope that next year their funding will be renewed, and that we'll get our voucher reasonably soon. I guess it's tough times for everybody, but I certainly hope that the City of Chicago continues to fund the wonderful HCBA initiative. I really am proud to own a Chicago bungalow - bungalows not only have personal and sentimental value to me, but I also feel like I own an important piece of Chicago and architectural history.

So for now, we'll have to continue to wash dishes by hand. I could just go buy one and install it, but I was so excited about being able to put the appliance voucher toward a dishwasher. There aren't really any other appliances I need or want to replace. Ah well, I can be patient.

2 shout-outs:

Andy November 19, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

Write an email to your alderman...I'm just about to blog about my letter: http://buildbetterbungalow.blogspot.com/2008/11/i-decided-to-post-letter-i-wrote-to-my.html

I just got a response today...it may not do anything other than raise a few eyebrows, but if enough aldermen know about it, maybe it will gain some momentum. Then again, I'm not sure if your alderman is the same as mine...Alderman Tom Allen. Either way, couldn't hurt...

Andy November 19, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

Oh yeah, and thanks for the link! :)