Monday, January 5, 2009

Upstairs bedroom - painted!

Yesterday we finished painting the upstairs bedroom. All in all it turned out pretty well. Because I had a generous gift certificate from Home Depot from my parents for my recent birthday, we decided to go with Behr paint, and were generally pleased with the results. We used a very very light lavender/purple and did two thorough coats, which seemed to cover pretty well. Unfortunately I don't have any pics yet - I tried taking some last night but the color barely showed up in the room. Hopefully I'll get some good shots soon.

So now it's time to start getting quotes on carpeting the upstairs! I'm excited - it will be a tremendous improvement over the crappy red/orange shag that's currently up there.

In other home improvement updates, the shelves in the bedroom are finally up, thanks to the expertise of my father. Turns out that the hardware that came with the shelves just wasn't enough to hold them up sufficiently against a wall that's not entirely flat. Sometime this week I'll patch up and paint over the unsightly holes beneath the shelf on the right side.

Basically these shelves are in lieu of bulky nightstands that wouldn't fit so well in the space where we have the bed. I kind of like the minimalist thing we have going in the bedroom so far. We got some reading lights to mount to the wall from IKEA and I am quite happy with the results:


3 shout-outs:

Andy January 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

That is actually very, very cool. Which means a lot coming from me, because it probably isn't exactly my style. But I would do that style in our place -- cool idea.

But, Ikea? Bad! ;) ;)

Andy January 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

Oh, and I'd recommend these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9058789&st=cordmate&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218013803059

to cover the wires...my brother uses them in his apt. and they do a good job, supposedly. Plus, they're paintable.

sweetlenny January 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Actually the switch is on the cords hanging down, so I may just bolt them down somehow so they're not dangling.

Re: IKEA - that was certainly not our lighting destination, but we happened upon them and they were $6 each, so I could not resist!