Monday, December 29, 2008

Next project - the second bedroom upstairs

It's been pretty quiet around the Bungalowtastic these days - I haven't been up to too much other than the holidays, at least in terms of working on the house. There was a failed shelf project that I am a little embarassed to even mention, but suffice it to say that it's VERY difficult to hang shelves on a wall that's not entirely flat. I promise to post more about this later, once we figure out a solution and actually hang the shelves.

Anyway, I am excited to get going on my next project, which I decided will be painting the second bedroom upstairs. We are going to get the carpet replaced in both upstairs bedrooms in January, which I have been told is the best time to buy new carpet. Before that, I want to paint the walls, like we did in the master bedroom.

Applying some lessons learned from the last painting project, I'm going to take a lot more care in prepping the walls prior to painting. I really wasn't very happy with the coverage from the Benjamin Moore Aura paint, so I'll either be giving Behr, Glidden, or Valspar a try. I also need to fill in some pretty major drywall cracks on the slanted wall near the window:




I need to do some research on how to best cover the cracks - the photos don't really show scale, but they're pretty big, and I don't think spackle is going to work. I have a few days off this week for New Year's so I am hoping to actually tackle this project this weekend so we can start prepping for new carpet.

2 shout-outs:

Anonymous January 4, 2009 at 9:10 PM  

You'll have to pull that area off and replaster the crack areas to do it right. Spackle won't do it. Sanding it won't do it.

sweetlenny January 5, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

It's actually drywall, not plaster. I ended up using some drywall tape and spackling over it - you can see a seam, but it actually turned out pretty well. The seam doesn't look all that bad.